Friday, March 6, 2009

Black Point Wildlife Drive

I left the house bright and early to get to Tammy's and head out with them at 0700. Well got to the 7-11 and my phone rang, it was Dan saying my camera was in the chair, did I want it? Of course I did so I turned around and back I went. Dan met me at the end of the driveway so I made the quickest trip I possible could and only ended up being about five minutes late so not to bad.

Had a nice drive over to Titusville and stopped to have our bagels (Tammy ran into town early this morning to pick them up). I was standing there with a piece in my hand looking out over the water at something and this raven swooped right in and took it right out of my hand. Can you believe no one even got a picture of that. It all happened so fast I wasn't sure what happened at first.

Then it was time to start on the Black Point Wildlife Drive. This is my second visit and Mum, Dad, and Tammy's third in recent months. It has gotten very dry, the water levels are so low that some places had no water at all. Not sure how this will effect all the animals here. We did see many more birds this time but it is nesting season so not sure if the population is up or down for this time of year.

One of the killdeer we saw, when we first stopped to look there were two but one ran into the scrub. Tried finding it hoping to see a nest but you couldn't see anything.

There were some huge groups of coots but caught this one by itself.


Lots of thistle, the two bees were really digging down in to get the pollen.


This was a huge group of pelicans flying overhead. They started quite a ways from us and just got closer and closer and finally disappeared in the other directions. It was very fascinating to watch them, swooping and spinning and turning.



There's always one in every crowd, the pelican in the center is flying the opposite direction of all the others.


This still isn't the whole group but gives you an idea of how many there were.


It was such a beautiful day, didn't get very hot, although I did get a bit of a sunburn on my face.


Admiring the view.


Click on this one, it is a baby eagle in the nest. A really big baby but still a baby. Dad says the nest was about 1800 feet from where we were and my zoom just wasn't quite enough.


The space shuttle on the pad ready for liftoff on either the 10th or 11th.


After this we went to visitor's center and had our lunch, sandwiches, chips, and pickles, it was great.

Hoping to come back again next month to see if there are any baby birds to be seen.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin