Saturday, August 1, 2009

Another 10K Down

Today was my second official 10K and everything went pretty well for me. The race itself had some problems starting with getting into the park and parking. We didn't realize we had to pay the day fee for Moss Park and I'm guessing most people didn't know because traffic came to a standstill and it took us 28 minutes to get through the gate. After that it was smooth sailing.

We checked out where everything was located and I got my transponder for the race time and headed over to the 10K start. The race ended up starting about 20 minutes late because of the gate fiasco.

When we first started I was dead last for the 10K because everyone else started out running and as you know I'm a walker and I don't run for anything anymore. The course was two laps and the forerunners in the 10K passed me when I hit 2.13 miles so you know they were moving. I think the overall winner finished in about 32 minutes.

The course was pretty nice, flat, fairly smooth and mostly shaded. The only problem was there were six water stops and by the time I got to stop 4 and 5 they had run out of cups or water so I wasn't able to get water. I was very glad to reach the sixth stop and see cups of water on the table. The finish was only about .2 miles after that so I finished up strong. My overall time was 1:27:14 which is a pace of 13:53 a mile and that is right where I wanted to be. It is a bit faster then my everyday workouts but that is to be expected.

Just so you know, even though I started out last I ended up passing about 6 or 7 other participants because I was doing a steady pace and they were run and walk, run and walk and they just got slower and slower.

After the race Dan and I headed home so I could shower and then it was off to the commissary. It doesn't pay to be three hours later than normal. It was very busy and ended up taking us about two hours to shop. But now shopping is done for another six weeks or so and that is a nice feeling.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I so dislike going to the commissary late. We have to go tomorrow right after our workout so I am hoping it won't be too busy.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin